Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Shredded Sweet Pork Salad

I enjoy cooking and trying lots of new recipes and most of the time Dusty says that I cook better than the resturant... (but I think he really likes the lower price too). Anyways I love to try new recipes and my favorite ones to try are ones with pictures. I also like it if someone else has tried the recipe and likes it. So I decided to post some of the recipes I try and like, with pictures! I hope everyone likes them and I would love comments if you try any of them, plus any changes you made to them. Like I said, I enjoy cooking but I don't enjoy the dishes, so I have an opening in my resturant for that position but I just can't seem to get any applications................ well at least from someone tall enough to reach the sink!
Here is the first recipe, I just tried it last night and we really liked it. (Daisy just had a tortilla with the cheese and pork and some beans on the side but she really liked the beans... she ate them for lunch too!) It is similar to a salad you can get at Cafe Rio or Cafe Chulo. It was my first time ever buying tomatillos... which was fun! I got the recipe from another blog called the sister's cafe.

Shredded Sweet Pork Salad

Assembling your salad:
Toast a large tortilla sprinkled with cheese under the broiler until slightly crisp. Then layer chopped romaine, rice and beans, shredded pork, pico de gallo, guacamole, and crispy tortilla strips. Drizzle on dressing, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and garnish with a lime wedge...and voila! Dinner is served! Yummy!

Shredded Sweet Pork
3 lb pork roast
1 c brown sugar
1 c Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp powdered ginger
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 Tb dried minced onions

Cook all ingredients in a crock pot on low all day (abt 8 hours). One hour before serving, remove roast and shred it. Dump out all cooking juices and place shredded pork back into crockpot and add...

1 c brown sugar
1 c red enchilada sauce

Cilantro Lime Rice
3 c water
3 c Minute rice
4 cubes chicken bouillon
4 tsp garlic, minced
1 Tb canola oil
2 Tb fresh lime juice
1/2 bunch of cilantro
1/2 onion
1 can green chilies

Blend cilantro, onion, and chilies in food processor. Bring water to boil and add all ingredients, simmer covered for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. *I used whatever rice I had but just changed the water and rice ratio. I actually only made 1/3 of the amount of rice and it was plenty of us.

Garlic Black Beans
1 can black beans
1/3 c tomato juice
2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp)
1 tsp cumin
2 Tb canola oil
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tb chopped cilantro

Heat oil then add cumin and garlic until garlic begins to pop. Add rest of ingredients and serve warm.

Creamy Tomatillo Dressing
3 tomatillos, peeled and quartered
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 c buttermilk
1/2 c mayonnaise
1/2 c sour cream
1 pkg dry buttermilk ranch dressing
1 c fresh chopped cilantro
6 green onions with ends, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (1 tsp)
3 tsp sugar
1 jalapeno, sliced thin - add to taste

Place all ingredients in food processor or blender and mix well. Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.

Tortilla Strips
White or corn tortillas
Salt
Cooking oil Spray

Cut tortillas into strips with a pizza cutter. Spray with cooking oil and sprinkle with salt. Then bake at 350 until lightly brown and crispy.

3 comments:

  1. I am seriously go to try that it looks awesome, pictures really do help. I will let you know what we think! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is so cute. I'll have to try your fun recipes. I have started a "Recipe Group" with some friends from the ward. Your girls are so adorable. I don't I have seen Addie. What a cutie. We are having a another baby due in July. It's a girl! We are so excited. I didn't know if you know that we moved to Florida about 2 months ago. I hope we can keep in touch.
    Blog: davejenblog.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kim! It's me, Maggie (Zimmerman) Greene. I was blog-stalking and found you! I am glad you posted this recipe, because last night we made Cafe Rio-like salads, but were disappointed from the meat and the dressing. I will be trying this soon!

    ReplyDelete